Article Writing – Secrets to Supercharge Your Article Writing
By John Wright
IT’S EASY to get into article writing, and it helps show people you are an expert. Publishing articles is also a key element in getting your website to land Top in Google.
Easy tips to make your articles more compelling include:
1. Always use the active voice. Don’t say “Fish are eaten by the cat,” but rather say “The cat eats fish.”
2. Tell your readers what to do. They’re reading your article because they want information. Don’t beat around the bush. Deliver your information with authority
3. Be specific. Dick Ash, an old friend who handled the marketing for many international brands, used to always say, “One ad, one product.” It’s top advice when you’re writing articles as well.
4. Deliver what you have promised. Whatever information you promise in the article, make sure you deliver. If your article gets a negative reaction, you’re better off not to write it in the first place.
5. Check your facts. Back up your facts with evidence. When I write Google gets 90% of searches online, I have the latest Hitwise figures which prove it.
6. Include examples and stories. See 3. and 5. above.
7. Don’t be a rambler. Keep it concise. I read every article I write out loud to my wife. If I waffles on even a little, she tells me, and I cut it back. For example, this article started at 855 words, and I cut it to 358 words
8. Optimize your articles. Use your main keyword or search term in the headline, in the first and last paragraph, and a few times in the body. But don’t overuse it.
9. Don’t write an ad masquerading as an article. In the newspaper industry we called this ‘advertorial’. Save your selling for advertising and write your articles to deliver valid and relevant information.
10. Proofread. Spell-check it, and again, read it out loud. This time you don’t need anyone to listen – you’ll pick up the bits that sound clumsy yourself.
Contact me personally 0414 955 743 or in the office 07 5577 4034 if you would like to discuss writing articles in more detail because we’re always happy to help.